Ingredients for Meat Layer:
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3 C. bone broth or chicken broth
- 5 C. whole Brussel sprouts, shredded
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 4 T. gluten-free flour blend
- 1 T. cumin
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 t. crushed red pepper
- 1.5 T. cinnamon
- ½ T. thyme
- 1 t. Coriander
Ingredients for Potato Layer
- 2.5 lbs potatoes
- ¼ C. greek yogurt
- 4 T. butter
- Minced garlic to taste
- Onion powder to taste
- salt/pepper to taste
- Begin by prepping vegetables. We use a food processor in our house, but you could also chop with a knife. If using a food processor, use the shredder blade for the Brussel’s sprouts, then lightly pulse the pepper and carrots. You want them to still have substance and not be mush.
- Next, sautee the ground beef in a large skillet until about half-cooked.
- Add prepped vegetables, bone broth and seasoning to the skillet and bring to a simmer. Continue cooking until meat is cooked through and vegetables are tender crisp. This takes about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, chop your potatoes and place them in a pot of water. Bring to a boil and cook until a fork stuck in the potatoes is easily removed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium-sized bowl, place the 4 T. of gluten-free flour. Add to it, 2 Cups of the cooking liquid from the pan and continuously whisk until mixed. This is your rue.
- Add rue back to the pan and again, whisk continuously until rue is incorporated into meat and vegetable mixture, giving you a thickened sauce.
- Place meat & vegetable mixture into a 9×13 inch baking dish and evenly spread out.
- When potatoes are cooked, drain water and mash with remaining ingredients.
- Spread mashed potatoes on top of meat and vegetable layer.
- Sprinkle with paprika, if desired.
- Place pan in the oven until pie is thoroughly warmed and potatoes begin to lightly brown. This takes about 20 minutes.
**If desired, you can prep the pie ahead of time and place in the fridge. If this is the case, you will need to warm it for longer than 20 minutes to heat thoroughly
**Sweet potatoes are a nice variant to this dish if you aren’t interested in white potatoes
**Cinnamon is KEY!!